In partnership with various security, compliance, and privacy-related organizations, ISS provides
quality, cost-effective training, conferencing and networking events; promotes education and
awareness to our community of professionals and students; facilitates Career Connection
events, and promotes non-profit professional IT groups and organizations with their training and
conferencing efforts. More information at https://www.informationsecuritysummit.org/
Information Security Summit (ISS), the Midwest’s largest gathering of security professionals,
began as a homegrown idea by two corporate IT managers to elevate Cleveland’s rich thought
leadership in cybersecurity. In 2002, Gary Sheehan and Glenn Brzuziewski, who were both
working in cybersecurity services at the time, came up with the idea to create a local, allvolunteer
security conference that created a space for professionals to learn without the barriers
of cost or time to attend out-of-state conferences.
ISS gained traction immediately, with support and participation from the top IT security
companies in the region and a host of cross-sector volunteers. Gary and Glenn’s entrepreneurial
idea to educate, collaborate and evolve the local security community thrived amidst growing
global threats of Cybersecurity and Denial of IT services, expanding to the largest and most
respected cybersecurity summit in the Midwest. The idea of ISS came out of a meeting at Ohio
Peace Officer’s Training Academy in 2001, and the ISS organization formed in 2002.
• The first fall Summit was held in 2002 at the Tri-C East Campus and attracted 150 attendees.
• The fall Summit attendance has increased every year, attracting over 600 attendees in 2014.
• Since its inception, ISS has partnered with over 15 local non-profit organizations donating over $300,000.
• Summit attendees came from over 11 states and represented 215 organizations.
• In 2011 ISS organized the Chief Security Officer (CSO) Xchange.
• In 2012 ISS held its first Spring IT Summit in Westlake, Ohio.
• 2015 ISS launched the Certified Enterprise Resiliency Practitioner (CERP) training
• In 2015 ISS expanded by adding Healthcare Day to its conference
• 2016 ISS partners with HIMSS who hosts ISS’ first off-site event.
• 2016 ISS expanded to a full week with over 1,800 attendees
• 2017 ISS Spring IT Summit event includes SANS Community Training
• 2017 ISS Spring and Fall Summits move to Cleveland’s International Exposition (I-X) Center
• 2017 The EnergyTech Forum & Conference joins the 15th Information Security Summit
What is Information Security Summit (ISS)?
ISS is a registered 501(c)6 nonprofit volunteer-led organization. In partnership with various
security, compliance, and privacy-related organizations, ISS provides quality, cost-effective
training, conferencing and networking events; promotes education and awareness to our
community of professionals and students; facilitates Career Connection events, and promotes
non-profit professional IT groups and organizations with their training and collaboration efforts.
What is The SUMMIT
The SUMMIT is the most impactful week-long gathering of IT professionals in the Midwest. The
Information Security Summit hosts the fall Security Summit Week annually and will be on Oct.
22nd-October 26th at the I-X Center. The week-long lineup of events features national speakers
and local experts on the best practices in information security and data protection as well as fun
activities like hackathons, Xceptional networking events, and competitions. The last two days
of The SUMMIT are dedicated to product-specific or industry-wide training programs and
thought leader keynote addresses.
What is the Spring IT Summit?
The Spring IT Summit will be paired with SANS training, the largest source for information
security training and security certification in the world. The Spring IT Summit offers professional
development and training to Cleveland’s IT workforce. This year’s date will be confirmed shortly.
What is The SUMMIT Career Connection?
ISS promotes workforce development in IT and cybersecurity in Cleveland, and in the region. At
both the SUMMIT in October and the Spring IT Summit in April, ISS offers students, veterans
and IT job seekers who are seeking IT cybersecurity connections and careers, an opportunity to
connect with industry professionals, recruiters, and advisors.
The 2019 Career Connection Expo is a collaboration between NOCHE, RITE and ISS.
How does ISS Support workforce development locally?
Through Career Connection and both summits, ISS is constantly working with employers, job
seekers, and educational institutions to provide quality, cost-effective training, conferences,
career connections, and networking to IT professionals. Ohio currently has 15,196 open
computing jobs, with the average salary of $79,972, almost double the state average ($44,750).
Per the U.S. Department of Labor, there are more than 500,000 open IT-related positions across
sectors throughout the country. As the nation adds 138,000+ jobs in computing each year, the
nation’s colleges only produce about 40,000 computer science graduates.
Information Security Experts
The Information Security Summit team and Advisory Board Members are experts on various
subjects related to cybersecurity, IT, and information security. We want to invite you to use our
vast network of security professionals too as a resource to your work. To arrange an interview,
contact Greg Coloian, 216.759. 3817, [email protected]
IT Workforce Development, including:
* New collar jobs
* Veteran IT workforce development
* Professional development and training, including SANS
* Certified Chief Information Security Officer (CISO) training
* National and regional security breaches;
* Security in healthcare, including patient device and data protection and vital needs for
Health system architecture;
* Security in law;
Information Security, including:
* Federal Trade Commission’s (FTC) data security enforcement standards
* Challenges facing small businesses
* Cloud computing
* Cyber-attack defense
* Data protection
* Mobile devices and data
* Artificial Intelligence (AI)